Last updated: June 15, 2020
The privacy of your data is a big deal to us. In this policy, we lay out: what data we collect and why; how your data is handled; and your rights to your data. We promise we never sell your data. We never have and never will.
This policy applies to all information gained as a part of our Longmont Startup Week programming, including email lists, our online community, and our scheduling platforms.
What we collect
Identity & access
When you sign up for emails to Longmont Startup Week, we typically ask for your first and last name and email address. When you sign up to join our online community, we ask for your name, email address, business, and other identifying information like website, city, and industry. We also give you the option to add a profile picture that will display inside the community. We’ll never sell your personal information to third parties, and we won’t use your name or company in marketing statements without your permission either.
When you browse the website, your browser automatically shares certain information such as which operating system and browser version you are using. We track that information, along with the pages you are visiting, which website referred you for statistical purposes like conversation rates, and we sometimes track specific link clicks to help inform some design and marketing decisions. These web analytics data are tied to your IP address, but are not tied to your user account or other identifying information.
We do use first-party cookies to make it easier to log-in and use our applications. A cookie is a piece of text stored by your browser to help it remember your login information and site preferences. You can adjust cookie retention settings in your own browser.
Information we do not collect
We don’t collect any characteristics of protected classifications including age, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or physical and mental abilities or disabilities. You may provide these data voluntarily, such as if you include a pronoun preference or mention your race or ethnicity in a post.
We also do not collect any biometric data. You are given the option to add a picture to your user profile, which could be a real picture of you or a picture of something else that represents you best. We do not extract any information from profile pictures: they are for your use alone.
How we secure your data
All data is encrypted via SSL/TLS when transmitted from our servers to your browser. Most data are not encrypted while they live in our database (since it needs to be ready to send to you when you need it).
Your Rights with Respect to Your Information
Currently some of the most privacy-forward regulations in place are the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) and California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) in the US. We recognize the rights granted in these regulations, except as limited by applicable law. These rights include:
- Right of Access. This includes your right to access the personal information we gather about you, and your right to obtain information about the sharing, storage, security and processing of that information.
- Right to Correction. You have the right to request correction of your personal information.
- Right to Erasure / “To be Forgotten”. This is your right to request, subject to certain limitations under applicable law, that your personal information be erased from our possession and, by extension, all of our service providers. Fulfillment of some data deletion requests may prevent you from using Longmont Startup Week services because our application may then no longer work. In such cases, a data deletion request may result in closing your account.
- Right to Complain. You have the right to make a complaint regarding our handling of your personal information with the appropriate supervisory authority.
- Right to Restrict Processing. This is your right to request restriction of how and why your personal information is used or processed, including opting out of sale of personal information. (Again: we never have and never will sell your personal data).
- Right to Object. You have the right, in certain situations, to object to how or why your personal information is processed.
- Right to Portability. You have the right to receive the personal information we have about you and the right to transmit it to another party.
- Right to not be subject to Automated Decision-Making. You have the right to object and prevent any decision that could have a legal, or similarly significant, effect on you from being made solely based on automated processes. This right is limited, however, if the decision is necessary for performance of any contract between you and us, is allowed by applicable law, or is based on your explicit consent.
- Right to Non-Discrimination. This right stems from the CCPA. We do not and will not charge you a different amount to use our products, offer you different discounts, or give you a lower level of customer service because you have exercised your data privacy rights. However, the exercise of certain rights (such as the right “to be forgotten”) may, by virtue of your exercising those rights, prevent you from using our Services.
Many of these rights can be exercised by signing in and directly updating your account information.